It is the express purpose of Upsilson Pi Epsilon (UPE) to promote the computing and information disciplines and to encourage their contribution to the enhancement of knowledge. UPE was first organized at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, in 1967. The international organization now consists of chapters in various colleges and universities in North America and overseas. UPE is the first and only, existing international honor society in the Computing and Information disciplines. The mission of UPE is to recognize academic excellence at both the undergraduate and graduate levels in the Computing and Information disciplines. UPE is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies (ACHS).
To be eligible to join Upsilson Pi Epsilon, students must have:
- Completed at least 16 credit hours of computer science courses
- Completed at least 60 credit hours of courses overall
- Achieved at least a 3.0 GPA in all computer science courses
- Achieved at least a 3.0 overall university GPA
- Must rank in the upper 35th percentile of all university students